First things first, Why Choose WordPress?
Let’s cut right to the chase – WordPress is the world’s leading content management system also known as (CMS) in my opinion, and for good reason:
- It’s used by more websites than any other platform.
- It’s 100% FREE and offers hundreds of free themes, layouts, and add-ons that many other blogging platforms don’t provide, to choose from.
- It extensible, which means you can add all kind of functionality if, and when you need it.
- It’s super easy to set up.
- It’s secure, WordPress is always updating their software and keeping everything sound and secure.
- No wonder Facebook, NASA and even Beyonce is using WordPress.
- WordPress allows you to launch quickly and Scale and Grow YOUR Business! Mucho Important!.
- It’s easy to use and learn – but it does require some practice.
- There are an amazing number of free and paid resources available.
- For your Reading Pleasure and some Design Ideas here is a good read…. Twenty (20) Big Brands That Use WordPress
- You have control over your site, able to monetize it.
- the list goes on…
However, given that there are over 72 million active users using WordPress today, it’s clear which platform is the boss. Even my own blogs and sites are built with WordPress blogging platform.
While the other blogging platforms are generally all pretty OK, nothing, in my opinion, has ever come close to matching the freedom and customization options that WordPress offers. So without a doubt, go with WordPress. Especially when you are just starting out.
Why you shouldn’t create a blog on a free blogging platform
Without a doubt, you need to self-host your WordPress blog.
Think about it – what famous, successful blogger you know is using a free blogging website like “persistants.freeblogs.com” instead of their own domain name like “Persistants.com”, for example?
It’s not just that – free blogging platforms have other problems too – including…
- You don’t control your content– the blogging platform does. They could shut you down anytime, and for any reason. Don’t believe me? Read this.
- The web address of your blog will be long and hard to remember(like yourfreeblog.blogspot.com) instead of a catchy, branded address you choose.
- You’re not allowed to advertise on most free blogging platforms, making it much harder to ever make money from blogging.
All of these limitations apply to the WordPress.COM blogs. What you really want is to self-host a WordPress blog – it’s the same software without all the limitations!
If I were you, I’d start with a self-hosted blog on my own domain from day one. Setting up a blog like this is WAY easier and less expensive than you think. So, as you can see, there are a lot of great reasons to make WordPress your website platform of choice. I did and I think you should too!
WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
Additionally, to justify the free version of wordpress.com, there will be ads placed on your site that does not bring you income and can look a little off-brand. But if you self-host with WordPress.org and Blue Host, you have control of any advertisements you put on your site, if you so choose.
That’s why you need a self-hosted blog with WordPress.org (not wordpress.com – the free platform). When you self-host your blog, you have control of the content and you own your site. You’re also able to monetize it – which I know is one of your goals for starting this online adventure!
Lastly, and this one is a biggie, on the free wordpress.com platform you can’t customize your site, you can’t add plugins to supercharge your blog and your site can be taken down at any time if you violate the Terms of Service.
So yes, signing up for a self-hosted blog with WordPress.org and BlueHost will give you complete control over your content so you can grow your blog into a huge success!
Now that YOu Know Why You Should Choose WordPress, Go and Visit my post on how to start your WordPress Blog in 10 steps or less.
So, as you can see, there are a lot of great reasons to make WordPress your website platform of choice. I did and I think you should too!